One Day My Mind Opened Up

Thursday, June 23, 2005
  The Toolbox
As a child of the 80s, Professional "Wrestling" was a staple of our weekend morning TV. My brother and our friends cheered on as The Killer Bs, The Dragon, and Hulk Hogan battled The Hart Foundation, Jake The Snake and the Iron Shiek.

One of the commericals we'd see during the programming was for a trade school that had a unique approach to it's Auto Mechanic's program. You began with an empty toolbox, you then learned one tool. When you got done with that tool, you added another one, and so on. By the time you were done, you had your diploma and a tool box, and were ready to get under the hood.

Well I managed to complete my first CGI-BIN program. All it does is read files in a print them out as a web page, but it is a start!

The problem is that I added some tools to my "programmers toolbox". I can now read files in using C++, which is useful for working on and off the web. I have a way to develop programs for the web off-line by writing drivers for them, and I have the confidence in my skills.

Well I realize that I also have a few other toolboxes. The few techniques of Aikido I know make up a kind of "Samauri's Toolbox". I have my religious beliefs and personal standards that make up my "Ethical Toolbox". I have a "sports bag", a "FedEx Bag" and definitely a "junk box" (I could give Kevin Jennings a run for his money likely).

Most of these boxes are always expanding, and I will continue to expand them, at least as long as I'm NOT in a box.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
A Look at a programmer's quest to get back into the IT field.

ARCHIVES

May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 /


Links

My Portfolio
Drop Me A Line
Julie Schreiber Band
Orchid Pool
Haverstick Films/This Girl's Music
My LaunchCast Station
Four Lights
Furious Spinner
Learning To Walk The Bushi no Michi
Flickr
Woodland Poet's Community
My DeviantArt Home
Defend Youngstown
Itten Dojo

Powered by Blogger